Thursday, December 6, 2012

"WHAT'S GOOD" WITH TAYLOR J's CONTROL MIXTAPE? EVERYTHING!

If you've been following me from the beginning, you know I report on WHAT to do and WHERE to do it; not mixtape reviews. But it shouldn't come as such a surprise that a writer who LOVES to go out, party and be entertained, also LOVES music; especially Hip Hop and Rap. Yeah, I'm old but that's what makes me love it more because I've been around for its growth and evolution. I remember proclaiming myself a rapper "back in the day" when Run DMC dropped "Sucker MC's." I gladly battled any boy in a contest to see who had the "freshest" flow. (I'll say fresh since we're taking a trip down memory lane and have landed solidly in the 80's). And when Eric B and Rakim dropped "Paid in Full??" It was a wrap: I WAS ALL IN. I've been a "Hip Hop Head" since then.

I didn't want to bombard you with my opinions and details in my first "Taylor J" post because I really just wanted to put you on point for where you need to be this week. But now that you have your schedule and have hopefully planned accordingly, I want to actually DISCUSS the music on CONTROL. I know I can be long winded, but I promise I'll keep it short, sweet and to the point. I just want to arm you with a little insider information to add to your listening pleasure since I was fortunate enough to be there when he "unveiled his creation" and spoke candidly about his inspirations. I'm connected; so you're connected. The CD is CRAZY; ALL of it!  So you definitely need to go to http://www.datpiff.com/ and download it.

"Fact of Life" featuring Jazze Pha and Nipsey Hussle (also produced by Jazze Pha) is Taylor J's favorite track on the mixtape. In case you were wondering........... It's definitely a hot track so that's understandable. I can see my head bopping to it in the club as I sip on a Peach Ciroc and pineapple trying to be cute.

Atlanta's infamous strip clubs have done it again! Done what you ask? Inspired yet another rapper to write a track paying homage to the "Ladies of the Pole." Taylor J said he wrote "Honeymoon" for Atlanta Strippers. He said he never realized how much he liked strippers until he moved here. But I'm not mad and if you've ever seen them perform, you definitely understand why. ATL strippers are BAD and definitely deserve all the attention Rappers bestow upon them.

"Humble" featuring Fat Trel: Although I don't know much about him, I have to give this song a shout out because it features a new artist from DC, the place I lived for the last 20 years before I moved to the A last year. DC is a tough city for aspiring rappers so I have to respect his hustle for getting his work out there. Good beat, strong lyrics....could be a hit.

"Notebook" is one of my personal favorites. When introducing it, Taylor J described it as a song that's about "all the stuff inside my head and on my mind." A song based on a compilation of the many thoughts inhabiting the mind on any given day? I like that; and as a writer, I can relate. I also liked the smooth beat and his mellow delivery. He changed his flow up slightly for this one; kind of reminiscent of Eminem to me. I know rappers don't like to be compared to other rappers but a comparison to Eminem can only be viewed as a compliment. Hopefully he takes it that way. I'm sure he will because he's soooooooo cool. I REALLY like this song.

My favorite track, aptly named "Darwin's Theory," is about Taylor J's evolution. It has a relaxed beat, a well delivered hook and gives a timeline of his evolution as an artist. The hot beat, clever title, catchy hook and story weaving lyrics put it at the top of my list.

If you haven't already done so, follow @TaylorJTakeover on Twitter to get links to downloads and info on events. You can follow me on Twitter @AtlFelicia for links/info as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and feedback on your experience at any of the "lounges" mentioned on "Lounge Around Atlanta" are greatly appreciated.