Wednesday, June 13, 2012


Try Something Different: Breakfast Dates!!!

If you're in a relationship (or not), you're well aware of how important it is to shake things up from time to time and break the monotony of "the same old thing."  It's really easy to get stuck in a dating rut of doing the same thing every week: Friday night, dinner; Saturday night, the movies; etc etc etc..... Traditional date days and date activities can become predictable and boring, so try mixing it up and have a breakfast date on say......... a Monday???

What are some of the advantages to taking your date out for breakfast? Well, it's considerably less expensive, for one.  A quaint little cafe like some of the ones I'm going to suggest, offer you breakfast for two for $22.00 or less (depending upon what you order of course).  Second, it allows you to still hook up for a date when schedule conflicts don't allow for an evening date. Third, if it's a new date, a morning (early afternoon) date is less intimidating and more comfortable for some. Last, it's a nice parting gesture after a wonderful evening date that turned into an "all nighter" (if you know what I mean).  

If you decide to take my advice, here are some fantastic breakfast spots that I ADORE; great food, strong hot coffee, nice patios, excellent service and outstanding prices. 

West Egg Cafe  (1100 Howell Mill Rd NW Atlanta 30318)
My date and I had a delicious filling breakfast here for under $20.00 and it was amazing. I ordered scrambled eggs with cheese, bacon, home fried potatoes and wheat toast which was menu priced at $6.75. At this price, I was expecting meager portions which is cool because I can stand to skip some calories. However, when my food arrived it was piled high! 

The eggs were fluffy, hot and oozing with cheddar cheese.  The bacon was thick and crisp with a smoky, apple wood flavor, and the potatoes were the kind my mom used to make; fresh (not frozen), unpeeled potatoes, well seasoned, and expertly fried until tender. Everything was delicious. If your palate is a little more sophisticated and you want something fancier for breakfast, no problem. West Egg was written up in The Atlantan for having delicious red velvet pancakes; sounds yummy. Check the menu online and preview their offerings if you choose. But trust me, if you want quaint with a touch of romance, it's a good choice. One more thing: if you like to drink in the morning or at brunch, I scoped their drink menu and they have a coconut rum shake that sounds scrumptious.

Highland Bakery Cafe  (655 Highland Avenue #10 Atlanta 30312)
This spot is another great breakfast find. It's not fancy (neither is West Egg) but it has that quaint, cozy decor and ambiance that I like; especially for breakfast which is the one meal where I allow myself to indulge in comfort foods. My date and I are outside people, so no matter how hot, if it's not raining, we opt for the patio. The patio here is not large, in fact, it's much smaller than the one at West Egg, but I like it. It faces the street so you are able to people watch which is one of my favorite past times.  I ordered simple here again (the Highland breakfast: eggs, bacon, potatoes and toast) and found the same thing: huge portion sizes, ridiculously low prices, delicious food and great service. Again, if you want fancy, they got you: Highland Bakery Cafe was written up in The Atlantan for their sweet potato pancakes. Sounds delectable. I'll go back and try them when I lose these last 10 pounds. In the mean time, if you try them, please come back to my blog and leave a comment.  

J. Christophers  (3050 Peachtree Road Atlanta, 30305)
There are several J. Christophers locations around the city but I frequent the one in Buckhead because it's close to where I live. Location is not important here however. It's the restaurant itself and the food. I love the one in Buckhead because it has great art. My favorite painting is the one that depicts a scene from Boston Legal, one of my favorite shows of all time. It depicts Denny Crane and Alan Shore having their customary "end of the show" discussion. They're on the roof top sipping cognac and smoking cigars, mulling over life, love, law....  It always brings to mind one of my favorite episodes and I have to share it with my dining companion. Makes for at least 20 minutes of great conversation. Anyway, I digress. The food at J. Christophers is delish.  My personal favorite is the Maple French Toast. It's made with thick sliced Challa bread that has been soaked in pure maple and vanilla batter, then grilled to a golden brown and topped with whipped butter and a dusting of powdered sugar: absolutely divine! 


Intermezzo  (1845 Peachtree Road Atlanta 30309)
If you have ever been to Intermezzo for breakfast, lunch, dessert or a late night snack (they're open really late) then you know that it has great charm and ambiance. It has dim, romantic lighting, lots of wood and a cozy decor. I went there several times before I discovered they had an awesome patio out back, so if that's your preference, be sure to ask to be seated there. 

I usually keep it simple at Intermezzo when I'm there for breakfast. I order the Intermezzo omelette which is stuffed with spinach, onion, mushroom, tomato and swiss cheese. They have fantastic french coffee so the combination of a delicious omelette, strong hot coffee and good company is divine. When I'm in the mood for something sweet AND can afford the calories, I opt for the Toffee French Toast. It is challa bread soaked in cinnamon rum butter then grilled and drizzled with warm toffee sauce: pure culinary decadence!

Murphy's  (997 Virginia Ave NE Atlanta 30306)
I don't usually recommend places that I have not personally attended or dined but I made an exception for Murphy's because it came so highly recommended by so many people; people whose judgment and taste I fully respect.  So I asked lots of questions, looked at their website and read on-line reviews and felt confident recommending it to my readers. 

The decor was great; a lot fancier than the other featured breakfast spots. It is located in the stylish and charming Virginia Highland community and has been described as a great place to go for upscale comfort food. You should know however, that breakfast is not offered daily; they have a fabulous brunch that is served on Saturdays and Sundays only from 8 am to 4 pm. I perused the menu and found several things that I will definitely try when I go in the very near future but I was told by frequent Murphy's diners that the "must tries" are: the White Shrimp and Grits or the Crabcake Benedict. Because it is a wine shop and bakery also, I can see Murphy's making my list for some other occasions as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and feedback on your experience at any of the "lounges" mentioned on "Lounge Around Atlanta" are greatly appreciated.